Monday, April 19, 2010

The Octopus Who Plays Drums

Maybe you saw Kick Ass this weekend. I didn't and unless somebody grabs me by the scruff and drags me to the theater don't expect I will. Thing is, I've already seen a little movie called Mystery Men and it looks like the same deal but funnier.

But wait, you say. What's your beef with cussing twelve-year-olds? Nothing, love 'em, but I've seen that movie too. It's called Goonies. Pottymouths were passe, dude, like, twenty years ago.

Mystery Men, sadly out of print, is the funniest superhero movie, the standard, the creme de la creme. Where else can you find advice like, "You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." Words to live by. And my personal favorite, Janeane Garofalo as The Bowler. She seeks revenge with her father's skull encased in a pink bowling ball. After she finds his killer, she can go back to school and complete her doctorate. A great example for children everywhere.

The cast is star-studded. Tom Waits lives on an abandoned fairgrounds crafting non-violent weapons. William H Macy is the Shoveler, a man who has to choose between justice and his family. Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) is the Spleen who asks foes to pull his finger -with devastating results. The list goes on and you should really check out this gem to see a bevy* of great comedians in homemade costumes fighting for right and playing drums like mad octupii.

Have you seen Kick Ass? Am I giving it a bad rap? I'm open if it's worth dropping a big chunk of change to see. Barring that, my recommendation is instead of going out, save your shekels and rent Mystery Men. It's more fun than a fractured skull.

Yes, a lot of laughs in that there movie, and while we're on the subject, check out the trailer for Scott Pilgrim vs The World, could be a keeper.



These images are copped from a great website that has the script of the film accompanied by a wealth of stills.

*Eddie Izzard, Hank Azaria, Ben Stiller, Michael Bay (yes, that Michael Bay), Sarah Silverman, Greg Kinnear, Dane Cook... and more!

2 comments:

JD at I Do Things said...

This movie has been on my radar for years. In fact . . . lemme check. Yup. Number 331 on my Netflix queue.

Thanks to this stellar review, I just bumped it up. It's sitting pretty right underneath The Hurt Locker and Bloodsucking Redneck Vampires.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

JD, now your titles are on my list. Never heard of the last one but that title alone is a winner. Cheers!