Monday, October 13, 2008

Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio

From this year's winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature:
My message will be very clear; it is that I think we have to continue to read novels. Because I think that the novel is a very good means to question the current world without having an answer that is too schematic, too automatic. The novelist, he's not a philosopher, he's not a technician of spoken language. He's someone who writes, above all, and through the novel asks questions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I didn't know about that. There should be a Nobel category for excellence in a synthetic language. Between Esperanto and Klingon (which is taught at the college level and also boasts original lit), we may see further eroding of English dominance.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check out the site.