Tuesday, March 27, 2007

You Too Can be an Armchair Microfinancier


This is not a phishing expedition, I promise. The problem of poverty is one that crosses all borders and nationalities, and I found a great, frugal solution for lending help. Even with a salary as small as mine, this is a site that creates the opportunity to help out with people that live in far worse conditions than I do in scenic, quiet, peaceful Seattle.

Basically you can become a microfinancier. Check out to find out what exactly that entails -but I can tell you it doesn't take much more than a little bit of money and a Paypal account.

If you have access to nytimes.com, you can also read Nicholas Kristof's editorial about Kiva in today's edition. That's how I heard about the service in the first place.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

From everything I've been hearing over the past few months, Kiva's an excellent organization. It's truly an exciting time in the world of microfinance! Definitely a big topic of discussion amongst my classmates.